makingconnections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Experiences with Diversity

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity - Page 3 Empty Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 pm

AshleyWoo wrote:
KaitlinD wrote:Im pretty sure the cheerleader stereotype is still the same.. I was on the dance team all through school(I just graduated this year) Cheerleaders and Dance team members are treated almost the same. They feel like we are stuck up, mean, and stupid. This wasn't the case for me either. I graduated with honors and didn't associate myself with many of the popular kids either. I really wasn't even friends with any of the cheerleaders or dancers, it was just what i loved to do.

Not tryin to be mean: If you were just a dance team member, how do you know what cheerleaders go throw? Wouldn't that be a sterotype? Smile

I've neither been either,so... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity - Page 3 Empty Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Well, if someone sees someone else with piercings and other markings - or even wearing "gothic" clothes, some people may think that they are "evil" and not make an attempt to get to know that person. The person who appears this way may never know that they made this judgment about them.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Melanie2008 wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:
KaitlinD wrote:I don't recall ever being "victim" to stereotyping, but maybe someone has stereotyped me and I wasn't aware of it. I think that people unconsciously stereotype people sometimes. I agree with Jarrod that the world wouldn't be the way it is without stereotypes, but i dont think that is necessarily always good. I think that there are alot of stereotypes that are negative and hurtful in a sense.

Is it possible that stereotyping can manifest itself in other ways that are indirect?

Well,I think people kind of 'go with the flow'.They see their friends acting stuck-up towards someone else and they act unkindly to that person without thinking about it.I,personally,have began analyzing my own experiences with stereotypes.

Interesting.

johnfmichael
Admin

https://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

johnfmichael wrote:Okay how about Question #2 then?

What is stereotyping? Where do stereotypes come from? Have you or a friend ever been the victim of stereotyping? If so, how did it make you or your friend feel?

Stereotying is general based on your personal life experiences. That's why one person can hate a race, religion, or creed and another could love them. Generally, we think of stereotyping as negative because that's usually what the news tells and shows us. We have been taught to take the negative side of something and learn from it. As far as having been stereotyped... everyone has in one way or another. I'm sure everyone has had a negative stereotype at one point, and the funny thing is, is that they have probably had a positive stereotype too; only the positive stereotype wasn't recognized because we aren't taught to recognize when things are going good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:09 pm

But if you think about the whole cheerleader/dance thing.. they both do kinda the same thing. So im sure it would be that kinda the same issues. Cheerleaders get looked at as dumb, stuck up, drama, and all the above.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:10 pm

jaredr wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:Okay how about Question #2 then?

What is stereotyping? Where do stereotypes come from? Have you or a friend ever been the victim of stereotyping? If so, how did it make you or your friend feel?

Stereotying is general based on your personal life experiences. That's why one person can hate a race, religion, or creed and another could love them. Generally, we think of stereotyping as negative because that's usually what the news tells and shows us. We have been taught to take the negative side of something and learn from it. As far as having been stereotyped... everyone has in one way or another. I'm sure everyone has had a negative stereotype at one point, and the funny thing is, is that they have probably had a positive stereotype too; only the positive stereotype wasn't recognized because we aren't taught to recognize when things are going good.

So what are some things we can do to change this trend?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 pm

johnfmichael wrote:Okay, Question #3 then:

There are other forms of diversity, including age, learning and physical disabilities, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Have you ever spent time around people with learning or physical disabilities? If so, how did you act and feel around those people? Did the disability make you feel uncomfortable? What would you do differently now in the same situation?

I believe people can't help it.People who do not know how to act around them either act the way their friends do or the way they know they should.Sometimes,when they're alone with others,they insult the person with a disability.

At a young age I felt very uncomfortable around people with disabilites,but being a little older as given me the chance to see things more from their perspective.If only to try to see things from their point-of-view.

Last edited by Melanie2008 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity - Page 3 Empty Question #3

Post  johnfmichael Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 pm

Okay, Question #3 then:

There are other forms of diversity, including age, learning and physical disabilities, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Have you ever spent time around people with learning or physical disabilities? If so, how did you act and feel around those people? Did the disability make you feel uncomfortable? What would you do differently now in the same situation?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 pm

I have been around a boy with down syndrome and I felt very uncomfortable. I noticed myself treating him like a baby, and he was in the graduating class before me. I regret that I treated him that way. My instinct was to treat him like he was a small child, though I wasn't ever mean to him, I should have treated him like he was his age. He worked hard to get to where he was just to constantly be treated like less. There is an 11 year old girl that goes to my church occasionally and she has been in a wheelchair her entire life. I dont feel uncomfortable at all around her. I dont feel like i treated her differently or like a child. I guess for me the severity of the disability played a role in how i treated them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:14 pm

My grandparents are deaf. Growing up around them has made me realize how people treat each other and made me a stronger person. My grandparents are the sweetest people that you will ever meet. They would do anything to help anyone. Some people on the other hand see thier disability as something that they can look at them and think they cant do the same things as everyone who can hear. But they can! They do every day things just like we do. And some people have made fun of them. But they dont get mad or try to show anger back to them . they just go on with life and are happy with what they have

Back to top Go down

People with a handicap don't bother me cause in somehow we could have our own disabilities. I think im bipolar so..you know. However, when I was pregnant I was always scared of if my child was going to come out different.

Back to top Go down

I know i have spent time around people like this. Its not that i feel uncomftable, its just that sometimes i don't know what to say or how to act.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:15 pm

So what are some things we can do to change this trend?[/quote]

I think a better question would be, should we change this trend? everything in life has a positive and negative side. If someone dies of cancer, we're sad, but they are also no longer suffering.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:15 pm

In my high school, some children with learning disabilities, autism, etc., were integrated into our classrooms. Some of these children were extremely smart (despite the stereotype). The only thing that made me uncomfortable was that some of the students had autism, etc. and sometimes their reaction to you wasn't what you would expect (angry, upset, etc). Now that I am older, I am not as fearful of those unexpected reactions.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Melanie2008 wrote:I believe people can't help it.People who do not know how to act around them either act the way their friends do or the way they know they should.Sometimes,when they're alone with others,they insult the person with a disability.

At a young age I felt very uncomfortable around people with disabilites,but being a little older as given me the chance to see things more from their perspective.If only to try to see things from their point-of-view.

How would you say people with disabilities really want to be treated? What is important for us to realize about them?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:17 pm

DustinE wrote:

I know i have spent time around people like this. Its not that i feel uncomftable, its just that sometimes i don't know what to say or how to act.

That's totally understandable.I think sometimes we need to learn how to handle these situations.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:17 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
Melanie2008 wrote:I believe people can't help it.People who do not know how to act around them either act the way their friends do or the way they know they should.Sometimes,when they're alone with others,they insult the person with a disability.

How would you say people with disabilities really want to be treated? What is important for us to realize about them?

I think they want to be treat as normal. Not look at them as they have something different about them. I know that sometimes we do it without realizing. but they have feelings too

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 pm

jaredr wrote:I think a better question would be, should we change this trend? everything in life has a positive and negative side. If someone dies of cancer, we're sad, but they are also no longer suffering.

I was referring to your statement "the positive stereotype wasn't recognized because we aren't taught to recognize when things are going good."

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 pm

My friend's mother has ALS, and when I'm around her I always feel comfortable. Perhaps it's because I've known her my whole life, but now she is to the point where she can not walk or speak clearly. I just recently visited her after not seeing her for several months. I talked to her like normal, and my friend helped me understand most of what she was saying. I wouldn't do anything differentlybecause most handicapped people want to be treated like other normal people.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 pm

BrookeC wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:

I think they want to be treat as normal. Not look at them as they have something different about them. I know that sometimes we do it without realizing. but they have feelings too

Agreed.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:19 pm

I feel like most, if not all, disabled people work very hard to do their best or fit in with "regular" people. I think they should be treated like they are hard working people because to me they are just that. Just because they are different doesnt mean they don't want to be treated the same as everyone else.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:19 pm

BrookeC wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:

Right,and that sort of goes back to how do we the 'normal' people treat them...

Sometimes I question whether someone in a wheelchair wants me to hold the door open for them or not.

Will I insult them?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:20 pm

We dont learn how to handle someone who is not disable, why should we learn how to handle someone who is?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I've worked at a day care before and there you meet lots of different people of all races, religion, and etc. I think it was a postive thing to work with children who are different. Your not just teaching them things, but their also teaching you new things.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:21 pm

johnfmichael wrote:

I actually had a job teaching, and taking care of mentally and physically handicapped people. At first, i was kinda reserved, but then quickly realized they just want to be treated as people. They want to learn, help, and hang out like everyone else. They just deal with it differently. This question raps back around to the diversity question and how it effects you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next