makingconnections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relationships

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Relationships Empty Relationships

Post  johnfmichael Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Okay, looks like it's time to start, so here is Question #1 for your consideration:

1. Every person is involved in at least one relationship of some type or another. What do the relationships you have in your life mean to you, especially as a new college student?

johnfmichael
Admin

https://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Relationships Empty Re: Relationships

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Everyone has some kind of relationship and its very important. It good to have someone there you can rely on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm

People supporting me in my way through college, like my family or friends.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm

DustinE wrote:Everyone has some kind of relationship and its very important. It good to have someone there you can rely on.

How do you think your relationships relate to your school life?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:33 pm

I think whether or not we believe it, relationships run our lives. Many decisions are based on how it will effect this relationship or that relationship. As for me as a college student, some of my outside relationships have been on the rocks because I don't have as much time. I miss friends and family, and I try my best to keep up with the relationships on a positive level.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:33 pm

AshleyWoo wrote:People supporting me in my way through college, like my family or friends.

In what ways do they support you?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

my mom has been my strongest relationship that i can lean on during starting college and starting a new point in life.

Back to top Go down

My relationships with my family and friends means everything to me. They are both great sources of strength and encouragement. I know that they will always be there for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:34 pm

my relationship with my friends and family mean the world to me. Whether it be with school or personal problems i know they will always be there for me no matter what.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:34 pm

i agree with brandy

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:34 pm

jaredr wrote:I think whether or not we believe it, relationships run our lives. Many decisions are based on how it will effect this relationship or that relationship. As for me as a college student, some of my outside relationships have been on the rocks because I don't have as much time. I miss friends and family, and I try my best to keep up with the relationships on a positive level.

Good point. It takes work to balance out school obligations with the maintenance of relationships.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:35 pm

As a new college student you need relationships because when things get hard, you need someone to help you get through them. If you have good relationships with people you could make study partners, and have discussions that could help in classes. You also need a good relationship with professors. If your relationship is bad (coming late to class, not turning in assignments....) your professor could see you as a student isnt going to try very hard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:35 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
DustinE wrote:Everyone has some kind of relationship and its very important. It good to have someone there you can rely on.

How do you think your relationships relate to your school life?
College is stressful to everyone at some point. These relationships help me get through it and encourage me not to give up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:37 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
AshleyWoo wrote:People supporting me in my way through college, like my family or friends.

Well im a starving college student with a child and my parents help me a lot finacially and just the fact that my friends and family rather they went to college or not can just let me know how proud they are of me:)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:37 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
jaredr wrote:I think whether or not we believe it, relationships run our lives. Many decisions are based on how it will effect this relationship or that relationship. As for me as a college student, some of my outside relationships have been on the rocks because I don't have as much time. I miss friends and family, and I try my best to keep up with the relationships on a positive level.

Good point. It takes work to balance out school obligations with the maintenance of relationships.

It is very difficult to balance relationships and school. I know that it is often hard to find time for your spouse, especially when children, school, and work all get in the way. It requires much diligence.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:38 pm

AshleyWoo wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:

Well im a starving college student with a child and my parents help me a lot finacially and just the fact that my friends and family rather they went to college or not can just let me know how proud they are of me:)

That's awesome that your family backs you like that. Most families these days are out to help themselves. Take hold of that, and let them know you're proud of them as well.

Back to top Go down

And just so you all know, I did not necessarily mean "get in the way" negatively. Children can be a great source of encouragement as well.

Back to top Go down

Relationships Empty Question #2

Post  johnfmichael Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Okay, Question #2. Feel free to continue discussing any previous questions too as we go along:

2. William Schutz was a researcher who discovered that people become involved in relationships of different types in order to satisfy three basic interpersonal needs: 1) inclusion, 2) affection, and 3) control. Consider control. How do you think the decision to be involved in a relationship with someone could turn out to be a bad decision with regard to the need to have control over another person? How do you think this relates to your success as a college student?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

my parents and family have helped me out through college from money to advice to helping with papers and etc. its good to have a good strong relationship with people you know you can always count on.. friends or family..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:40 pm

jaredr wrote:
AshleyWoo wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:

That's awesome that your family backs you like that. Most families these days are out to help themselves. Take hold of that, and let them know you're proud of them as well.
Thanx & I will keep that in mind

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:41 pm

johnfmichael wrote:Okay, Question #2. Feel free to continue discussing any previous questions too as we go along:

2. William Schutz was a researcher who discovered that people become involved in relationships of different types in order to satisfy three basic interpersonal needs: 1) inclusion, 2) affection, and 3) control. Consider control. How do you think the decision to be involved in a relationship with someone could turn out to be a bad decision with regard to the need to have control over another person? How do you think this relates to your success as a college student?

Relationships are never truly in our control. We think they are and that sets us at ease, but at any point in time they can change. If that happens we are suddenly out of control and it's even harder because we thought we knew what we were doing... maybe that makes sense

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:41 pm

It is not wise to be in a controlling relationship. It could negatively affect you with regard to your college path.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:43 pm

I agree with Brandy. You should never try to control someone in a relationship.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 pm

its bad to be in controlling relationships they can hinder you ability to focus in school.. they can pull you away from family and friends and just make you feel like you arent good enough to accomplish anything.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 pm

johnfmichael wrote:Okay, Question #2. Feel free to continue discussing any previous questions too as we go along:

Let me clarify this question a bit. There are two aspects of it I want us to consider. First, we as humans have an innate need to control other people to a certain extent. In that sense, how can control in a relationship be good or bad for someone, especially related to college life?

Second, what are your thoughts concerning the nature of relationships between students and faculty/staff members who have a certain amount of control over students due to their position of authority? What constitutes a healty relationship in such a case? An unhealthy one?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next