Your Experiences with Diversity

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Feel free to respond both to the question I pose as well as other people's posts. You don't have to wait for me to post before you post a reply. Also, I may comment on individual posts. But if I don't comment on any of yours, don't take that to mean that your post wasn't interesting. It can be hard to keep up on a forum like this! The idea is to have a healthy exchange of ideas about the topic. Okay? Here is discussion question #1:

Have you had experiences with people who are different than you? What was it like? Were the experiences positive or negative? Why?

johnfmichael
Admin

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Yes i have had experiences with different people and i think it is very positive. It teaches you the way diffeent people view and live life. You can learn a lot by meeting different people.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:39 pm

I come into contact with people who are different than me every day. Being a non-traditional freshman can be very overwhelming at times. Most of my experiences with students younger than I am has been a positive experience overall. It allows me to get other perspectives than my own.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm

BrandyM wrote:I come into contact with people who are different than me every day. Being a non-traditional freshman can be very overwhelming at times. Most of my experiences with students younger than I am has been a positive experience overall. It allows me to get other perspectives than my own.

This is a great example of a type of diversity we sometimes don't think about as "diversity" - age differences. Different age groups can have vastly different cultures.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:43 pm

DustinE wrote:Yes i have had experiences with different people and i think it is very positive. It teaches you the way diffeent people view and live life. You can learn a lot by meeting different people.

So you would agree that, when it comes to learning to understand other people's worldviews, cultures, differences, etc., direct experience really is the best teacher?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Truthfully, who hasn't experienced someone different than themselves? One thing I found in those types of experiences is that not everyone who isn't like you is evil. Haha. We may disagree a lot, but by the end of the day we're all humans with real families, real ideas, and real problems. I enjoy learning about people, even if I don't always agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:44 pm

I've had good experiance with people, but not because of thier color, age, or gender but because of thier personallity.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Being in a Methodist church all my life,I felt a huge difference going to a Pentecostal church.It was a huge change as everyone was louder and far more emotional.

Back to top Go down

I assume this is a retorical question as everyone is different. Yes my cousin once intoduced me to her boy freind who was from New York and had never been to Arkansas before. He was a nice enough person although i couldn't always understand what he was saying. Overall I'd call it a positive experience I learned a little about big city life and he learned a little more about life in a more rural town.

Back to top Go down

johnfmichael wrote:
DustinE wrote:Yes i have had experiences with different people and i think it is very positive. It teaches you the way diffeent people view and live life. You can learn a lot by meeting different people.

So you would agree that, when it comes to learning to understand other people's worldviews, cultures, differences, etc., direct experience really is the best teacher?
Yes, i would say it is.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:46 pm

jaredr wrote:Truthfully, who hasn't experienced someone different than themselves? One thing I found in those types of experiences is that not everyone who isn't like you is evil. Haha. We may disagree a lot, but by the end of the day we're all humans with real families, real ideas, and real problems. I enjoy learning about people, even if I don't always agree.

Good point. It is also sometimes a problem in that we assume if we disagree with people on one thing that is important, we must disagree with them in many other ways, too. Interacting with them and trying to understand where they are coming from is the best way to learn that, usually, we have a lot more in common than we think.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:46 pm

Yes. Direct experience should be how you create your view of people, opposed to allowing stereotypes to dictate what you should believe. That could teach you more than any book can.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:47 pm

I know people who are a different race and have different religions than I do and the experiences have been very positive because I have learned that we can get along no matter what we believe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:47 pm

BrandyM wrote:Yes. Direct experience should be how you create your view of people, opposed to allowing stereotypes to dictate what you should believe. That could teach you more than any book can.

Right,anyone can have a degree but if they're never in the field why does it matter?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm

I agree with Dustin. I think that is strange and interesting how diverse people are. I do think that direct experience is the best teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm

BrandyM wrote:Yes. Direct experience should be how you create your view of people, opposed to allowing stereotypes to dictate what you should believe. That could teach you more than any book can.
Agreed cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm

GrantR wrote:I assume this is a retorical question as everyone is different. Yes my cousin once intoduced me to her boy freind who was from New York and had never been to Arkansas before. He was a nice enough person although i couldn't always understand what he was saying. Overall I'd call it a positive experience I learned a little about big city life and he learned a little more about life in a more rural town.

It's not so much a rhetorical question as it is a question meant to get us thinking about what kinds of differences people have with one another and how those differences help us learn more about others and ourselves. So, with that said, what did you learn about yourself through your interactions with your cousin's boyfriend?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Yeah i think that everyone has experienced someone different than them. My experiences have all been positive, sometimes they can be intimidating too but i think its interesting to meet new people and to learn what thier view is on things.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Yeah i think that everyone has experienced someone different than them. My experiences have all been positive, sometimes they can be intimidating too but i think its interesting to meet new people and to learn what thier view is on things.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:50 pm

I think the same. The experiences help you learn more. Or to me that are a better teacher.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:50 pm

I would have to say my interactions with different people is bitter sweet...I dont know probably because i come off as an asshole to most people, but i cant help it. After i get to know ppl it is a good experiance in most cases. I always like to talk to different people to hear their views or perspective on things. Even if it is just to argue with them, but at the end of the day i usually learn something!

Back to top Go down

Question #2

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Well said, and it leads us to our next discussion question #2, although you should feel free to keep discussing Question #1 as well if you wish:

What is stereotyping? Where do stereotypes come from? Have you or a friend ever been the victim of stereotyping? If so, how did it make you or your friend feel?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 pm

For the most part experience isn't a bad thing and I accept those who are different from myself,but sometimes it's hard to be able to accept that people are who they choose to be.

Back to top Go down

Its something exciting and new when you meet someone with a different religion or maybe of a different race. They may have stories or different views from you that can really be life changing

Back to top Go down

Melanie2008 wrote:

Right,anyone can have a degree but if they're never in the field why does it matter?

What do u meen by that?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum