makingconnections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Experiences with Diversity

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity - Page 4 Empty Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:28 pm

It is important for us to get over how we feel about different people because during college and even in the work force, we will have to work with many people that we don't know and don't know of their background. My friend is in her Sr. year of college and has had to work with many different people on group projects.

Back to top Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity - Page 4 Empty Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:29 pm

BennyRussell wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:
What are some things we can do to overcome bias, discrimination and prejudice? Why is doing so important for our college careers?

Keeping an open mind about all subjects is a good way. In college people come from all over to learn its not just going to be your friends going to college it could be people from other states or even other nations. Its imperative that you learn to get along with everyone because everyone can teach you something you didn't know. After college when getting a job the more people you learn to associate with the better.

Yes, keeping an open mind is one of the main necessities of having a successful college career. If you don't keep an open mind, you are shooting yourself in more than just your foot! Sad

johnfmichael
Admin

https://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:31 pm

i think everyone has pretty much covered it!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Going through college seems like it would be the best time to be open to new things and new people. Waiting till you were out in the real world might be to late and might cause yourself problems. It is alot easier to learn about people when they are your peers and not a co-worker or employer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:35 pm

Sorry, my last post was late. I think if we would put ourselves in the other person's shoes, we wouldn't be as likely to discriminate. We will all at one time have to deal with someone that is of a different religion, race, etc. Maybe if we listened to their views & opinions on things, we might actually learn something. Wouldn't it be amazing if one day we all got along?

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm

DanaL wrote:Sorry, my last post was late. I think if we would put ourselves in the other person's shoes, we wouldn't be as likely to discriminate. We will all at one time have to deal with someone that is of a different religion, race, etc. Maybe if we listened to their views & opinions on things, we might actually learn something. Wouldn't it be amazing if one day we all got along?

Yes it would be! But even though that isn't possible, we can still respect each other by disagreeing on the issues that matter without stereotyping or slighting others (and, in the process, ourselves) based on differences in race, religion, etc.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity - Page 4 Empty Conclusion

Post  johnfmichael Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm

AslynH wrote:i think everyone has pretty much covered it!

Aslyn I think you are right!

Well, I think we've had a good discussion. If you haven't read Chapter 13 in the book yet please do so. I appreciate everyone who participated and shared their thoughts and ideas.

I am interesting in hearing what you all thought of this online discussion component. Let me know in person or through email to jmichael@astate.edu. I plan to do more of this in the future in my other classes and would love some good feedback, suggestions, etc.

I will post a new topic soon on here with the topic for our second and final online discussion of the semester in the next few days.

Thanks and see you in class physically on Monday. Class dismissed! Cool

Last edited by johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm

[quote="AslynH"]
johnfmichael wrote:
AslynH wrote:There was this one occasion when i had to babysit a boy with autism..It did make me feel uncomfortable becuase i didn't know everything he was able to do. I found myself following him around and not taking my eyes off of him for a second. i watch kids carefully when i do babysit , but in this case it was more severe.

Interesting example. What did you learn about autism from this experience and would you handle it differently today knowing what you know now?[/quote

I don't think i would do it any differently, i would make sure they were taken care of firsr of all. i didn't really learn anything new, sorry for the little feedback.

i would like to add something here. i think i felt this way because i hadn't known this boy at all, it was a spur of the moment thing and i didn't know what to thnk! i have thought about this a little bit more and realized i have a friend with a disability and she is not treated differently at all! she is amazing to visit with and talk to !!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:39 pm

see you guys later!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:39 pm

[quote="AslynH"]
AslynH wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:
AslynH wrote:There was this one occasion when i had to babysit a boy with autism..It did make me feel uncomfortable becuase i didn't know everything he was able to do. I found myself following him around and not taking my eyes off of him for a second. i watch kids carefully when i do babysit , but in this case it was more severe.

Interesting example. What did you learn about autism from this experience and would you handle it differently today knowing what you know now?[/quote

I don't think i would do it any differently, i would make sure they were taken care of firsr of all. i didn't really learn anything new, sorry for the little feedback.

i would like to add something here. i think i felt this way because i hadn't known this boy at all, it was a spur of the moment thing and i didn't know what to thnk! i have thought about this a little bit more and realized i have a friend with a disability and she is not treated differently at all! she is amazing to visit with and talk to !!

There you go! Then you did learn from it. It was just a delayed reaction.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

see ya monday

Back to top Go down

Had fun KKKK Bye CYa monday !!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:40 pm

see ya !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:41 pm

[quote="johnfmichael"]
AslynH wrote:
AslynH wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:

There you go! Then you did learn from it. It was just a delayed reaction.

well. i guess some cheerleaders are a little "slow" haha

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Well, I think we've had a good discussion. If you haven't read Chapter 13 in the book yet please do so. I appreciate everyone who participated and shared their thoughts and ideas.

I am interesting in hearing what you all thought of this online discussion component. Let me know in person or through email to jmichael@astate.edu. I plan to do more of this in the future in my other classes and would love some good feedback, suggestions, etc.

I will post a new topic soon on here with the topic for our second and final online discussion of the semester in the next few days.

Thanks and see you in class physically on Monday. Class dismissed! Cool

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4