Your Experiences with Diversity

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Yes I have been around someone with a disability. At first I wasn't real sure how to act but as I was around her more I knew to treat her just like I would any other person I encountered. Just because she has a disability doesn't make her completely different from us.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Yes, I have been around handicaped people. I dont feel like i act differently around them, although i am sure that i do. It makes me feel sad to know that they are like this and to know that i was born perfectly healthy and do not have anything wrong with me. I know that most people who are like this dont want people feeling sorry for them, they are usually some of the strongest people i know because they have had to go through so much in their life because of their disability.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 pm

MalloryG wrote:Yes I have been around someone with a disability. At first I wasn't real sure how to act but as I was around her more I knew to treat her just like I would any other person I encountered. Just because she has a disability doesn't make her completely different from us.

Agreed!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 pm

There are different types of disabilities, and some people with mental disabilities can actually live on their own and have a job and support themselves. But when someone mentions they have a mental disability, what comes to mind is someone who lives at home with their parents or a relative and needs help and can't support themselves.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 pm

MalloryG wrote:Yes I have been around someone with a disability. At first I wasn't real sure how to act but as I was around her more I knew to treat her just like I would any other person I encountered. Just because she has a disability doesn't make her completely different from us.

Mallory, I edited her name out of your post because we need to be careful about naming people by their real names on here, since we are using an open forum on the Internet. But your example is a good one and it sounds like you learned a lot from knowing her.

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Ya most people with a disability just want to be treated the same. They don't want people to seem them for their disabilities, they are people just like we are and many of them have extremely great personalities.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Perfectly fine, I wasn't sure. but yes i have learned a lot from this young lady!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 pm

RachealGipson wrote:Yes, I have been around handicaped people. I dont feel like i act differently around them, although i am sure that i do. It makes me feel sad to know that they are like this and to know that i was born perfectly healthy and do not have anything wrong with me. I know that most people who are like this dont want people feeling sorry for them, they are usually some of the strongest people i know because they have had to go through so much in their life because of their disability.

Perhaps one of the best reasons to highly respect those with disabilities is exactly that they have gone through so much...and succeeded!

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 pm

mrussell wrote:I went to Tech all my life and there was this one boy who had down syndrome and something else I believe.. For the longest time I felt sorry for him but then I realized he was one of the happiest people I have ever been around and most people with disabilities are(not saying all are)! Everytime I saw him he would say hey to me and give me a high five. This never failed to put a smile on my face! I have never felt awkward and uncomfortable around someone with a mental or physical disability!

One of my best friends brother has down syndrome and he is the same way. He always has a smile on his face and loves to sing Lynard Skynard lol But he is always happy. To him he doesnt have a disability, he is just a "normal" person.


Last edited by RachealGipson on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 pm

And they are the most positive people I've ever seen in my life!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:20 pm

[quote="johnfmichael"]
AslynH wrote:There was this one occasion when i had to babysit a boy with autism..It did make me feel uncomfortable becuase i didn't know everything he was able to do. I found myself following him around and not taking my eyes off of him for a second. i watch kids carefully when i do babysit , but in this case it was more severe.

Interesting example. What did you learn about autism from this experience and would you handle it differently today knowing what you know now?[/quote



I don't think i would do it any differently, i would make sure they were taken care of firsr of all. i didn't really learn anything new, sorry for the little feedback.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Question 4

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Incidentally, if I don't comment specifically on any of your posts, don't think that they aren't good ones. It's just that everyone is participating and it's hard to keep up! No way I can respond to every single post in our limited time.

Okay last discussion question for today...

What are some things we can do to overcome bias, discrimination and prejudice? Why is doing so important for our college careers?

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

AslynH wrote:
I don't think i would do it any differently, i would make sure they were taken care of firsr of all. i didn't really learn anything new, sorry for the little feedback.

That's perfectly okay. Keep in mind though in the future that such experiences are excellent opportunities to learn something new about others and ourselves, if you know the opportunity is there and are open to them!

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

Who are we to judge who is "normal" and who is not.. I don't feel like that is my position in life. EVERYONE wether they have a disability, different race, different sex, different culture, etc. are "normal"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

mrussell wrote:Who are we to judge who is "normal" and who is not.. I don't feel like that is my position in life. EVERYONE wether they have a disability, different race, different sex, different culture, etc. are "normal"

Well said!

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Maybe because you have to deal with so many diffrent kind of people in a college career

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:24 pm

The best thing that I can do is not listen to what other people say, like when they are discriminating someone else. I just need to listen to myself and make decisions for myself. I've made sooooo many mistakes by listening to my friends on what they think. I could also be more open-minded to the outside world.


Last edited by RandiP on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:24 pm

I think one of the best ways to overcome this is to just be open to new things and new ideas. There are always different opinions and ideas out there and we shouldn't just limit ourselves to what we think or we believe. Even if we dont agree with things we should take them into consideration and atleast see why others feel that way.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:25 pm

I have a friend that has a child with a disibility. He wants to do things on his own, but sometimes he does need a little help. I'm just not certain yet when that time is. I don't want to jump in and do something that he can do on his own, but I wish I knew when it was something I should help with.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 pm

To learn to accept people for who they are no matter what. I think this is necessary for our college carrers because if you go through college being biased against people then you are never going to get the full experience of being able to meet new people, make friends, and learn somethingn new about a culture that you have never been around before. I try to meet everyperson I can no matter what their religion, race, sex, or anything else that diversifies them from me.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 pm

DanaL wrote:I have a friend that has a child with a disibility. He wants to do things on his own, but sometimes he does need a little help. I'm just not certain yet when that time is. I don't want to jump in and do something that he can do on his own, but I wish I knew when it was something I should help with.

The more you interact with him, the more adept you will become at being able to recognize those things. I had the same experience with my best friend, who is blind.

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
mrussell wrote:Who are we to judge who is "normal" and who is not.. I don't feel like that is my position in life. EVERYONE wether they have a disability, different race, different sex, different culture, etc. are "normal"

Well said!
\

That is the reason i put it in quotation marks. Because everyone has their own idea of what normal is. Mine maybe something completely different from what yours is. I wasnt trying to say anything bad about them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm

We should get to know others that are different from us, to better understand them. Everyone should be treated with respect no matter what they look like or how they dress. Always think of the golden rule!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
What are some things we can do to overcome bias, discrimination and prejudice? Why is doing so important for our college careers?

Keeping an open mind about all subjects is a good way. In college people come from all over to learn its not just going to be your friends going to college it could be people from other states or even other nations. Its imperative that you learn to get along with everyone because everyone can teach you something you didn't know. After college when getting a job the more people you learn to associate with the better.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm

RachealGipson wrote:To learn to accept people for who they are no matter what. I think this is necessary for our college carrers because if you go through college being biased against people then you are never going to get the full experience of being able to meet new people, make friends, and learn somethingn new about a culture that you have never been around before. I try to meet everyperson I can no matter what their religion, race, sex, or anything else that diversifies them from me.

Yes!

johnfmichael
Admin

Posts : 122
Join date : 2008-10-06

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum