Your Experiences with Diversity

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm

College is a great way to learn about different people. In my case I didn't know alot of people when I came here just the ones i went to school with and a few others, but now I have made alot of friends. In making these friends i've learned so many things that I didn't know and how people can be so different from what you expect them to be.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Stereotyping is the way you view a certain group and the label you put on them. I believe stereotyping has been around for a long time and has stuck with us all.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm

JillianM wrote:i dont have much experience with diversity. i havent ever really talked to anyone different from me. not because i dont want to talk to them, just never really met them i guess

Well then you are in for a treat. You'll get to meet lots of different people during your college career.

johnfmichael
Admin

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm

i think it is when someone judges other people by what they look like or how they dress or where they come from. in jr high i liked to wear a black sweatshirt a lot and people called me "gothic"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm

I think that college changes everyone just a little. Like when I run into people that I graduated they are a little different. I think that college makes people open up more and open there mind more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm

i think it is when someone judges other people by what they look like or how they dress or where they come from. in jr high i liked to wear a black sweatshirt a lot and people called me "gothic"

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm

JillianM wrote:i think it is when someone judges other people by what they look like or how they dress or where they come from. in jr high i liked to wear a black sweatshirt a lot and people called me "gothic"

That is an excellent example of stereotyping. It shows the logical fallacy behind stereotyping - ALL people of a certain type do this or that, or believe this or that, etc. The word "all" sends up red flags, right? Anytime we start talking like that, we're almost always mistaken.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Stereotyping is judging someone from what you have heard about a group not about the person as an individual. I think stereotyping comes from everywhere, tv, radio, our everyday lives. Everyone stereotypes even if they dont know it, it is just how we work. Many people get treated unfairly because of biased opinions when they really dont know.

Back to top Go down

Stereotyping is when you judge a whole group of people on the actions of a few. Stereotypes come from people not being open minded to something different, or that not all people act the same. I have been stereotyped in school like being a jock, sometimes as being stuck up, or being a teachers pet, because i was always willing to help and do my best. The stereotyping made me feel bad because i wasnt any of these things, yes i played sports but that wasnt all i did and so on in the other cases.

Back to top Go down

that's also like saying cheerleaders are "dumb"...........

Back to top Go down

Some people i've meet thought i was a werid person and wasn't social before they even talked to me because of my piercings, when actually in real life i'm pretty social and very nice. I hate it when people stereo type other people they don't know, it's unfair and i don't think anyone likes it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:06 pm

johnfmichael wrote:We see you now Aslyn!
What is stereotyping? Where do stereotypes come from? Have you or a friend ever been the victim of stereotyping? If so, how did it make you or your friend feel?

Stereotyping can be good or bad its how people view you based on who you are around or what kind of people you are involved with. Its like if you live in a poverty stricken area and most people do drugs in the area it automatically makes you a drug addict. I have been a victim of stereotyping which I was on another forum and a guy from Brittan was talking openly in a ShoutBox which is kind of like a chat room and he was calling all Americans fat. Which obesity is a major problem in America but not all Americans are fat and I certainly am not fat. But the fact the guy was insinuating that I was fat because I was an American made me feel bad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Sterotyping is how you view/feel towards a person or group of people. Usually we sterotype without knowing that we are doing it. We do it because of what we have been taught. When we are young and we hear our family or others talking about certain types of people or hear how they feel about them, that is usually how we feel/talk about them.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 pm

AslynH wrote:that's also like saying cheerleaders are "dumb"...........

Perfect example.

Shawnda's example is also a good one and extremely common.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm

BennyRussell wrote:
johnfmichael wrote:We see you now Aslyn!
What is stereotyping? Where do stereotypes come from? Have you or a friend ever been the victim of stereotyping? If so, how did it make you or your friend feel?

Stereotyping can be good or bad its how people view you based on who you are around or what kind of people you are involved with. Its like if you live in a poverty stricken area and most people do drugs in the area it automatically makes you a drug addict. I have been a victim of stereotyping which I was on another forum and a guy from Brittan was talking openly in a ShoutBox which is kind of like a chat room and he was calling all Americans fat. Which obesity is a major problem in America but not all Americans are fat and I certainly am not fat. But the fact the guy was insinuating that I was fat because I was an American made me feel bad.

Good example. There's just something different about stereotyping, the idea of being lumped in with a group of people who do certain things or act a certain way based on characteristics that have nothing to do with choice of action, beliefs, etc.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Question 3

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm

There are other forms of diversity, including age, learning and physical disabilities, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Have you ever spent time around people with learning or physical disabilities? If so, how did you act and feel around those people? Did the disability make you feel uncomfortable? What would you do differently now in the same situation?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm

To me stereotyping is when you judge someone by the way they act, dress, things they believe, etc. in high school, i'm sure everyone has noticed that the kids are all grouped off, like the "popular" kids or the "nerdy" kids. I think college is going to change the stereotyping. you may become close to someone who you didn't even talk to in high school just simply because of the way they dressed, acted, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:12 pm

MalloryG wrote:To me stereotyping is when you judge someone by the way they act, dress, things they believe, etc. in high school, i'm sure everyone has noticed that the kids are all grouped off, like the "popular" kids or the "nerdy" kids. I think college is going to change the stereotyping. you may become close to someone who you didn't even talk to in high school just simply because of the way they dressed, acted, etc.

I think you are absolutely right. I have experienced this phenomenon first hand.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Whenever I'm around someone with a physical disability or even a mental disability, I always want to help them. And sometimes they don't want you to help them because they have that feeling that your only doing it because you feel sorry for them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Ya although some stereotypes might be close none will ever be exactly right because everyone is different no matter what group they are in. You can't judge one person or a whole group by the actions of others.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

I went to Tech all my life and there was this one boy who had down syndrome and something else I believe.. For the longest time I felt sorry for him but then I realized he was one of the happiest people I have ever been around and most people with disabilities are(not saying all are)! Everytime I saw him he would say hey to me and give me a high five. This never failed to put a smile on my face! I have never felt awkward and uncomfortable around someone with a mental or physical disability!

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

RandiP wrote:Whenever I'm around someone with a physical disability or even a mental disability, I always want to help them. And sometimes they don't want you to help them because they have that feeling that your only doing it because you feel sorry for them.

Very true. One thing that is important to remember is that people with disabilities most want to be treated with respect. They demand the same respect as those without disabilities and rightfully so.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

There was this one occasion when i had to babysit a boy with autism..It did make me feel uncomfortable becuase i didn't know everything he was able to do. I found myself following him around and not taking my eyes off of him for a second. i watch kids carefully when i do babysit , but in this case it was more severe.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:15 pm

mrussell wrote:I went to Tech all my life and there was this one boy who had down syndrome and something else I believe.. For the longest time I felt sorry for him but then I realized he was one of the happiest people I have ever been around and most people with disabilities are(not saying all are)! Everytime I saw him he would say hey to me and give me a high five. This never failed to put a smile on my face! I have never felt awkward and uncomfortable around someone with a mental or physical disability!

Excellent. This is the mindset every college student should have as they go through the university and life beyond college as well.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:15 pm

AslynH wrote:There was this one occasion when i had to babysit a boy with autism..It did make me feel uncomfortable becuase i didn't know everything he was able to do. I found myself following him around and not taking my eyes off of him for a second. i watch kids carefully when i do babysit , but in this case it was more severe.

Interesting example. What did you learn about autism from this experience and would you handle it differently today knowing what you know now?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum