Your Experiences with Diversity

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Have you had experiences with people who are different than you? What was it like? Were the experiences positive or negative? Why?

johnfmichael
Admin

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Experiences with Diversity

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:44 pm

I think that everyone has had and experience with someone who was different than them. To me i didnt mind because it was something new, because they were different. There were things you could learn from them because you hadn't ever been around it before.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Good point. There are lots of things we can learn, both about others and about ourselves, thanks to diversity. Everyone feel free to post at will. You don't have to wait for me to respond.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Ya I like meeting different people. It always gives me different ways to look at things. The way other people view things is usually very interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Yes i have. and I agree with seth I like to hear what others have to say or what they think about certain things. You can learn so many things from different people.

Back to top Go down

On my first day of college, I was nervous because I knew that I was going to meet people who are totally different than me and that it would be something that I wasn't use to since I did grow up here in Paragould. But then, I did meet different people and saw the way they view things and it made me look at certain things differently, too.

Back to top Go down

Anytime that I have encountered diversity, it has been experience. You meet new people, learn new things, and after meeting these people, you may feel different towards their culture. Most people have a stereo-type towards different cultures because they do not know anything about it's peoples.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Being around diverse people gives you a chance expand your thinking and allows you to step outside your comfort zone to view things the way they do!

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm

MartinM wrote:Most people have a stereo-type towards different cultures because they do not know anything about it's peoples.

Good point about stereotypes. We'll talk about that more in a bit. Anyone else?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Well, I was excited to start college because I've meet so many new people even though some of them i don't always get along with because of their diffrences

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm

I've encountered lots of diversity in life, I like learning about tother people and seeing why they do certain things.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:52 pm

gwight wrote:Well, I was excited to start college because I've meet so many new people even though some of them i don't always get along with because of their diffrences

What sort of differences sometimes cause you not to get along?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Ya growing up in Rector didn't offer a very much diversity. We had our groups of friends and that was about it but now being in college you get to meet so many new people and just learning about them can be a great experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:52 pm

johnfmichael wrote:Have you had experiences with people who are different than you? What was it like? Were the experiences positive or negative? Why?

Different in like religion, ethnicity, sex, or views and opinions on different subject matters? Most of the time when interacting with other people of different ethnicity you get to learn different customs and how they live their lives differently then you do. I haven't had many personal experiences with people different than me because it seems like when we choose to communicate with other people we try to communicate more with people that are like ourselves rather than people that are "outsiders" or different. Only experiences I've had was with some of the Hispanics that married into my family. None of the experiences were negative but because of them being a different ethnicity it made communication hard and awkward.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:53 pm

cjones wrote:I've encountered lots of diversity in life, I like learning about tother people and seeing why they do certain things.

The "why" is a good question to ask. Understanding why certain people do things certain ways - why they have the traditions and culture they do, for example - is a great step toward overcoming potential problems.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:54 pm

conflicts of interests... sometimes they think diffrent ways

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:55 pm

SethM wrote:Ya growing up in Rector didn't offer a very much diversity. We had our groups of friends and that was about it but now being in college you get to meet so many new people and just learning about them can be a great experience.

Excellent point. Some people come from larger cities with a diverse population and are raised in that environment, but many of us have to learn through experience later on.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I have a different culture and backgroud than most people who live around here. I moved her three years ago and ever since then i've been meeting new people and seeing their different ways. Like what they do as a family on holidays or what kind of food they make. I liked my experiences.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Shawnda E wrote:I have a different culture and backgroud than most people who live around here. I moved her three years ago and ever since then i've been meeting new people and seeing their different ways. Like what they do as a family on holidays or what kind of food they make. I liked my experiences.

The best way to handle diversity is to realize, as you have, that it is an asset rather than a liability, something to be embraced rather than shunned.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:56 pm

I haven't expierenced it very much. Most of the time I am around anyone is becuase of common ground like when i cheered or played softball. The people were different than me, but we were all there for a specific purpose so we didn't discuss the differences we had.

Last edited by AslynH on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Its like when you encounter diversity you open your mind up to a whole new way of thinking. You start to consider what they think, how they feel about things, how they deal with their everyday life, and you start to compare it to your own and see how it differs. Sometimes you realize they aren't so different underneath all the stereotypes, sex differences, race difference, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:58 pm

AslynH wrote:My posts aren't showing up!!!

When you try and post something and someone else post before you it ask you whether or not you want to change your post because of what someone else says if thats the case just click save and it will post it.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:58 pm

We see you now Aslyn!

Okay next question...but feel free to discuss any of the questions already posted. The idea is to have open dialogue about the topic.

What is stereotyping? Where do stereotypes come from? Have you or a friend ever been the victim of stereotyping? If so, how did it make you or your friend feel?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:58 pm

mrussell wrote:Its like when you encounter diversity you open your mind up to a whole new way of thinking. You start to consider what they think, how they feel about things, how they deal with their everyday life, and you start to compare it to your own and see how it differs. Sometimes you realize they aren't so different underneath all the stereotypes, sex differences, race difference, etc.

Very true.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:59 pm

i dont have much experience with diversity. i havent ever really talked to anyone different from me. not because i dont want to talk to them, just never really met them i guess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum