Relationships

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Relationships

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 pm

johnfmichael wrote:Good discussion so far. Okay, Question #4:

4. Today people can interact via face-to-face (FtF) communication and/or via online communication. Which do you prefer? Why? Do you think FtF is intrinsically better than online communication like MySpace, Facebook, etc. or is it the other way around? Why do you think so? What are your thoughts on developing relationships via FtF rather than online communication or vice-versa?

I think face to face communication is better. When ur communicating over the computer u never really knw what a persons TRUE feelings are, or their facial expressions are either. I rather communicate with someone personaly. But someone people on the other hand can open up more over the computer rather then face to face.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 pm

What sort of relationships could be better cultivated through online communication channels like Facebook, etc.?

johnfmichael
Admin

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 pm

Well, I guess it would be hard to have any type of relationship, romantic or not, totally online. For the very same reason - no body language. You may take something wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:14 pm

talking face to face you can tell emotions and how people are feeling easier than online

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:14 pm

BrookeC wrote:Face to face can be more personal. Its easier to keep up with more people at once on the internet. Like my close friend moved to cali. its easier for me to text her or message her on facebook or something like that then for both of us to meet or talk on the phone. we are both so busy. but i think we should all make time to talk face to face to people.
Yeah sometimes its good to have communication online cause like people I have graduated with but dont talk to anymore can be caught up on online

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:15 pm

johnfmichael wrote:What sort of relationships could be better cultivated through online communication channels like Facebook, etc.?

Staying in contact with people you know, but have moved off or something. I think on a professional level, it should be email, or a site set up by the company.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:16 pm

johnfmichael wrote:What sort of relationships could be better cultivated through online communication channels like Facebook, etc.?
People who you are to far from them to drive, lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:16 pm

jaredr wrote:Staying in contact with people you know, but have moved off or something. I think on a professional level, it should be email, or a site set up by the company.

Good point. Email is probably a safer choice for professional communication via Internet.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:17 pm

like i said before its easier for me to keep up with my friends from high school and stay in touch with them because most moved off somewhere and it is difficult to see them all the time.. or to call or text all of them..

Back to top Go down

I have two aunts that live out of town (one in conway, one in washington DC) really the only time we get to communicate is when we are online. We have eachother on facebook, and we email every week. It is the best way for us to talk to eachother and keep eachother updated. I love both of them very much and if i could only talk to them on the phone i dont know what i would do. The phone is an inconvenience for some people with kids. You can send a quick email just whenever you get the chance. I also get to see pictures of them and my cousins.

Back to top Go down

I guess you could network through Facebook - but I have to agree with Jared, face to face is the best. I guess I just have the opinion that Facebook is a personal venue and not meant for professional communications.

Facebook would be good for family that lives far away or a chance for old friends to catch up with each other if they live long distances from each other.

Back to top Go down

Question #5

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:18 pm

Okay let's have Question #5, which is related to the online question:

5. How do you feel about long distance relationships? What are some special problems with long distance relationships that could affect your college career?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:19 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
jaredr wrote:Staying in contact with people you know, but have moved off or something. I think on a professional level, it should be email, or a site set up by the company.

Good point. Email is probably a safer choice for professional communication via Internet.
in less like was said in class on time when ur myspace or facebook is filled with bad things like bad pics

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:19 pm

BrandyM wrote:I guess you could network through Facebook - but I have to agree with Jared, face to face is the best. I guess I just have the opinion that Facebook is a personal venue and not meant for professional communications.

Facebook would be good for family that lives far away or a chance for old friends to catch up with each other if they live long distances from each other.

It doesn't have to be just Facebook. I only mention it as an example because it is the most prevalent channel other than MySpace among college students.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Long distance relationships im sure could have difficulties. I guess you could always make it work if you really cared about that person. but you are kind of setting yourself up for if the other person is as dedicated as you are to the relatioship. if not it could just be a lot of stress and heart break on your end.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:21 pm

I have never been in a long distance relationship. When i was trying to decide what i wanted to be when i grow up (occupational or physical therapist) this is what helped me decide. The closest place to go to occupational therapy school is conway and memphis. I thought very hard about what i wanted to do and I am going to stay at ASU and be in the Physical Therapy program.. I dont want to leave my family, friends, or my boyfriend. Yes, this did affect my college career, but it is what i want and im decided.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:22 pm

I don't know that a long distance relationship would be smart. There are so many challenges - never seeing that person face to face, not knowing if they are completely pulling the wool over your eyes or what. When you graduate, your life may take you in a direction that is different from that person's and where would that leave you.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:23 pm

KaitlinD wrote:I have never been in a long distance relationship. When i was trying to decide what i wanted to be when i grow up (occupational or physical therapist) this is what helped me decide. The closest place to go to occupational therapy school is conway and memphis. I thought very hard about what i wanted to do and I am going to stay at ASU and be in the Physical Therapy program.. I dont want to leave my family, friends, or my boyfriend. Yes, this did affect my college career, but it is what i want and im decided.

Your answer serves as hard evidence in support of how important healthy relationships are to our success in life, be it college, professional, or personal.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:23 pm

johnfmichael wrote:Okay let's have Question #5, which is related to the online question:

5. How do you feel about long distance relationships? What are some special problems with long distance relationships that could affect your college career?
I dnt really belive that long distance relationships work, maybe if it is your family, but thats about it. For example two people who are together but one want to go to college while the other wants to be in the millitary...that would be hard to make a relationship out of that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:24 pm

I think if you're truly at a point where a long distance relationship would actually work, you would probably want to go to where they are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:24 pm

johnfmichael wrote:
BrandyM wrote:I guess you could network through Facebook - but I have to agree with Jared, face to face is the best. I guess I just have the opinion that Facebook is a personal venue and not meant for professional communications.

It doesn't have to be just Facebook. I only mention it as an example because it is the most prevalent channel other than MySpace among college students.

Email should be the only electronic means for professional relations, in my opinion. Email and other electronic methods (Facebook, myspace) are appropriate for personal relations.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:25 pm

jaredr wrote:I think if you're truly at a point where a long distance relationship would actually work, you would probably want to go to where they are.

exactly

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:26 pm

Relationships are hard enough without any additional barriers. You should just go be with that person if you want to have a relationship with them so badly.

Back to top Go down

Final Question #6

Post  johnfmichael on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Alright so far so good. Let's go ahead and have the final question. It is Question #6:

6. What kind of relationships should you definitely seek to cultivate as part of your plan for succeeding in college and beyond? What connections like this have you already begun to make?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:27 pm

BrookeC wrote:
jaredr wrote:I think if you're truly at a point where a long distance relationship would actually work, you would probably want to go to where they are.

exactly
The question however is are you going to base everything around them and forget about your dreams?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next