Relationships

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Relationships

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:07 pm

I believe all student faculty relationships should be strictly professional.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:08 pm

You can talk to them until you are blue in the face about their relationship, but until they see it for themselves, you are just wasting your breath.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:09 pm

RandiP wrote:Being in a controlling relationship can be bad because it can cause your other relationship (family and friends) to suffer. You start secluding yourself from them.

You and Martin make good points. Healthy romantic relationships do not exclude family and friends in these ways. In fact, healthy romantic relationships embrace them.

johnfmichael
Admin

View user profile http://makingconnections.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:09 pm

With staff and students the student should feel comfortable enough to talk to their professor about the class. Anything closer than that could be bad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:09 pm

DanaL wrote:You can talk to them until you are blue in the face about their relationship, but until they see it for themselves, you are just wasting your breath.

Agreed! Even if you've been in the same relationship and you know from experience.. no matter how hard you try they just have to figure it out for themselves!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm with Benny on that, strictly professional and nothing but.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:10 pm

mrussell wrote:
DanaL wrote:You can talk to them until you are blue in the face about their relationship, but until they see it for themselves, you are just wasting your breath.

Agreed! Even if you've been in the same relationship and you know from experience.. no matter how hard you try they just have to figure it out for themselves!

You don't need to just give up on them though. Keep trying to show them. After awhile they will see it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:12 pm

i think they they should be able to talk to the professor but other than that it should be strictly professional. alot of the time though because professors do have the control over you, you think that there is nothing you can do about it. like if they did come on to you or whatever and you said something that nobody would believe you because they have more respect than you do and people may not listen. i knew someone who house sat for a professor for a whole summer and i dont not think that this was appropriate because that is too close of a relationship for a teacher and student to have.

Back to top Go down

Question #3

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

I think we can all agree it is pretty obvious how anything beyond a professional relationship between students and faculty/staff can lead to bad situations.

Now, Question #3:

3. The breakup of a romantic relationship can be very difficult. Everyone has experienced this at some point in their lives at varying degrees of intensity. What sort of effect can a breakup have on you as a college student? What advice would you give other students dealing with a breakup?

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

JamieRicker wrote:
mrussell wrote:

You don't need to just give up on them though. Keep trying to show them. After awhile they will see it.

i don't think so....you can only give somebody so many chances. after that it's just not worth it anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm with benny and Martin, they should be only professional.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:14 pm

RachealGipson wrote:i think they they should be able to talk to the professor but other than that it should be strictly professional. alot of the time though because professors do have the control over you, you think that there is nothing you can do about it. like if they did come on to you or whatever and you said something that nobody would believe you because they have more respect than you do and people may not listen. i knew someone who house sat for a professor for a whole summer and i dont not think that this was appropriate because that is too close of a relationship for a teacher and student to have.

Good point.

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 pm

AslynH wrote:
JamieRicker wrote:
mrussell wrote:

i don't think so....you can only give somebody so many chances. after that it's just not worth it anymore.

I guess it just depends on how close you are too them. If it's just a friend you hang with sometimes I would stop trying. If it's like your very best friend you're going to do everything in your power to help them right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 pm

A romantic breakup can seriously hurt your college work. Your so hurt and upset that you just don't feel like doing anything especially homework or even going to class.. My advice to other student would to be not to just sit at home.. Continue your everyday life and turn to your friends for help and support and if you feel like you just wanna lay in bed and cry do it on a night when you don't have class and when you have time to let it all out.. It helps!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:17 pm

I personally can't imagine a breakup so bad that you would want to throw you college career down the drain. My advice would be, talk to a teacher or you pastor, but don't give up. That girl/boyfriend probably won't be there forever, but that college education will!!

Back to top Go down

JamieRicker wrote:
AslynH wrote:
JamieRicker wrote:
mrussell wrote:

I guess it just depends on how close you are too them. If it's just a friend you hang with sometimes I would stop trying. If it's like your very best friend you're going to do everything in your power to help them right?

Even if it is your very best friend sooner or later the things you say are going to just become repetative.. Its not that you dont want to help them its just that they've made up their mind and theres nothing you can do about it

Back to top Go down

mrussell wrote:A romantic breakup can seriously hurt your college work. Your so hurt and upset that you just don't feel like doing anything especially homework or even going to class.. My advice to other student would to be not to just sit at home.. Continue your everyday life and turn to your friends for help and support and if you feel like you just wanna lay in bed and cry do it on a night when you don't have class and when you have time to let it all out.. It helps!!!

I agree. With me as long as I'm busy and have something on my mind I'm fine. Anything to get that off your mind is great!

Back to top Go down

break ups can be pretty hard, i had a friend who after a breakup, didn't eat and she got sick; she couldn't pay attention in class, so her grades slipped; my advice would be to lean on friends and family to help you thru it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Sorry, I meant your, not you.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:18 pm

DanaL wrote:I personally can't imagine a breakup so bad that you would want to throw you college career down the drain. My advice would be, talk to a teacher or you pastor, but don't give up. That girl/boyfriend probably won't be there forever, but that college education will!!

Yes it will. I think one of the keys to getting through a breakup is to realize it is NOT the end of the world. There is much to do, college being just one part of it, although a very important part of it!

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:18 pm

It would usually have a bed effect on your grades. You don't want to do anything, you can't think about anything else. And you probably don't care about anything else at that point. I woud tell others to just turn to their friends and family.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:19 pm

mrussell wrote:
JamieRicker wrote:
AslynH wrote:
JamieRicker wrote:
mrussell wrote:

Even if it is your very best friend sooner or later the things you say are going to just become repetative.. Its not that you dont want to help them its just that they've made up their mind and theres nothing you can do about it

Yeah. I guess as long as you're there to help when they do get it that's all that really matters.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfmichael on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:19 pm

DanaL wrote:Sorry, I meant your, not you.

We forgive you!

johnfmichael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Like I have told my friends before, relationships come and go but friendship is forever! Just rely on your family and friends to get you through.

Back to top Go down

JamieRicker wrote:
AslynH wrote:
JamieRicker wrote:
mrussell wrote:

well i was talking more about boyfriend girlfriend type thing..but still yet if your friends are doing things that hurt your college work then why keep them around either, they aren't helping you they are just hurting you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next